Ascension Island Green Mountain

So its been a while since I last posted here and with good reason. Very limited, expensive, slow internet. So I am living and working on Ascension Island, a British overseas territory dead centre of the atlantic ocean. Its about halfway between Gabon in Africa and Brazil in south America and just south of the equator. Its a small island with a population of around 800. My role here is the assistant warden for the 7 nature reserves and the national park. Green Mountain national park is an old volcano and unlike the rest of this island is a green and wet rainforest . The rest of the island is like a desert. The mountain was planted with vegetation, an idea by Charles Darwin and Joseph Hooker of Kew in the 1800's. It was to increase rainfall to supply water to the military based here. Today it is a national park. Due to the internet restrictions I have only added two pictures from the mountain. I will upload more at some point and when I am on leave in the UK will try get a video up. 

White Horse and Weather Post from Green Mountain


North East Bay Nature reserve from Green Mountain

Comments