Bonoboalive: Protecting Bonobos in the Wild

I don't usually post anything like this but felt like I needed to. After seeing all the news about rhino poaching finally on the UK news it felt the public was becoming more aware of the dreadful poaching crisis sweeping the planet. However while it is great news its broadcast now to a wider audience and i'm glad that more people are aware it feels like its reserved for the bigger animals. I'm not complaining here and I hate poaching of all sorts but I just wanted to let people know about a lesser known group working to protect a species close to me. The bonobo.

Soso
As followers of the blog will know I have a special place for bonobos having worked with them in the wild for nine months. Its sad to think that these apes are being hunted for bushmeat and the young sold as pets who usually die anyway. I always worry that my favourite bonobo Pembe will be harmed and cannot imagine poor little Pan as someones pet. Lola-ya-bonobo in Kinshasa does amazing work with these orphans but thats not who I wanted to talk about.
Pembe and Pan
Bonoboalive is an organisation dedicated to keeping these amazing animals safe in the wild. What makes it special to me is the main focus is on Lui-Kotale area where "my" bonobos live. The organisation is run by bonobo researchers and aided by the congolese government. They do great work with anti-poaching. Now I can vouch for the fact that they actually do send anti-poaching patrols out as I have paid one of these patrols myself when I was temporarily in charge of finance for Lui-Kotale camp. So far no poaching of bonobos has occurred in Lui-Kotale after bonoboalive began. Not only do the bonobo get protection but so to do the elephant, leopard, bongo and myriad other wildlife. The patrols are very effective and quick to act. We needed an emergency patrol once and they were out in the forest at a moments notice.
Lui-Kotale

You can help in many ways. Vistit the site bonobo-alive.org. You can become a member, buy a t-shirt or  donate whatever you can. You can also buy my book on amazon which helps with 20% of proceeds going to bonoboalive. Ever since I began writing it I knew I wanted it to be used to help protect the bonobos I know and love. I hope this has given you a little insight into bonobos and what can be done to help them.

Bonobos of Lui-Kotale
Below is a video narrated by Lambert who, if you read my book, you will know is a bonobo worker at Lui-Kotale.


Thank You

Comments